Slackware-Based Linux: Salix
Slackware-Based Linux: Salix “MATE”
Slackware-Based Salix 14.1 MATE
Salix MATE 14.1 is built around the latest MATE 1.8 desktop environment. The MATE desktop environment brings a familiar and user-friendly approach to the desktop, with sane defaults and a great selection of application bundled with it. Included in this release, alongside the MATE desktop applications like the Caja file manager, the MATE Control Center and all the MATE panel applets and utilities, is the latest Firefox ESR browser, the LibreOffice suite, GIMP, the ClawsMail e-mail client, the Transmission torrent client….
Salix is a Linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware, so Slackware users can benefit from Salix repositories, which they can use as an “extra” quality source of software for their favorite distribution. Like a bonsai, Salix is small, light & the product of infinite care.
Salix has three different modes of installation:
- Full: Everything that is included in the iso is installed. That includes the Xfce desktop environment, the Firefox web browser and Claws-mail email client, a complete OpenOffice.org office suite, a Java Runtime Environment, the Totem media player and Exaile music manager, the gslapt package manager and several other applications, always following the “one application per task” rationale.
- Basic: This installs only the Xfce desktop environment with the Firefox web browser and the gslapt package manager. Ideal for advanced users that would like to install a lightweight Xfce and add their own choice of applications.
- Core: Only the minimum essentials for a console system to start are included. A graphical environment is not provided. This is ideal if you are an experienced user and want to customize your installation for any specific purpose, such as a web server, file server etc.
The installation is text dialog based, but easy to navigate and complete. It is also very fast; a “full” mode installation will take less than 5 minutes on any modern PC. All three installation modes come with a complete development environment, so users don’t need to add anything to start developing and compiling applications.
· one application per task
· fully backwards compatible with Slackware
· optimized for desktop usage
· incredibly fast package tools
· simple & fully localized system administration tools
· nice artwork
· installation ISO fits on a single CD
Source && Download