Slackware-Based Salix Live 14.0.1 Beta 2 has arrived fairly quickly after the installable versions were released and a lot of features have been implemented
• The distribution is based on Linux kernel 3.2.45;
• liveclone has been updated to version 0.12.14.0 and it’s now working with the new SaLT;
• The salix-live-installer has been updated to version 0.4.2;
Salix is a Linux distribution based on Slackware that is simple, fast and easy to use. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware, so Slackware users can benefit from Salix repositories, which they can use as an “extra” quality source of software for their favorite distribution. Like a bonsai, Salix is small, light & the product of infinite care.
Salix has three different modes of installation:
- Full: Everything that is included in the iso is installed. That includes the Xfce desktop environment, the Firefox web browser and Claws-mail email client, a complete OpenOffice.org office suite, a Java Runtime Environment, the Totem media player and Exaile music manager, the gslapt package manager and several other applications, always following the “one application per task” rationale.
- Basic: This installs only the Xfce desktop environment with the Firefox web browser and the gslapt package manager. Ideal for advanced users that would like to install a lightweight Xfce and add their own choice of applications.
- Core: Only the minimum essentials for a console system to start are included. A graphical environment is not provided. This is ideal if you are an experienced user and want to customize your installation for any specific purpose, such as a web server, file server etc.
The installation is text dialog based, but easy to navigate and complete. It is also very fast; a “full” mode installation will take less than 5 minutes on any modern PC. All three installation modes come with a complete development environment, so users don’t need to add anything to start developing and compiling applications.
· one application per task
· fully backwards compatible with Slackware
· optimized for desktop usage
· incredibly fast package tools
· simple & fully localized system administration tools
· nice artwork
· installation ISO fits on a single CD
· isomaster, for managing ISO files;
· gparted, for managing partitions;
· grub2, for a beautiful boot menu and options;
· lilosetup, to repair a failed lilo boot setup;
· liveclone, for creating your own custom live CD/USB;
· persistence-wizard, for creating a persistence file in order to keep changes upon reboot in the live environment;
· remmina, for connecting to RDP server (like Windows or VirtualBox 4+), VNC server, NX server, SSH/SCP;
· salix-live-installer, for installing Salix on a hard disk.