Final Term is a new breed of terminal emulator
It goes beyond mere emulation and understands what is happening inside the shell it is hosting. This allows it to offer features no other terminal can, including:
- Semantic text menus – Final Term knows which pieces of terminal output represent filenames, PIDs, web URLs or IP addresses and provides context-aware commands for each of them. New semantic menus can be added effortlessly with a powerful yet simple text file-based plug-in system — no programming required.
- Smart command completion – Final Term knows when it is displaying a command prompt to you, and it knows all the commands that you ever entered.The moment you start typing, suggestions from your terminal history automatically pop up — lightning fast and sorted by an algorithm that ensures what you want to type is almost always right at the top.
- GUI terminal controls – Final Term lets you collapse command output much like a programmer’s editor lets you fold code.Final Term recognizes “ASCII art scrollbars” in the output of supported programs like wget and displays matching GUI scrollbars, allowing you to monitor progress while the output is scrolled away.
AT LAST – A MODERN TERMINAL EMULATOR
- GTK+ 3
- Clutter >= 1.12
- libnotify Optional, for desktop notifications support
- libunity Optional, for Unity launcher integration (progress bars)
Additionally, it requires intltool for localization string extraction.
To install Final Term, execute these shell commands:
git clone https://github.com/p-e-w/finalterm.git cd finalterm/ mkdir build cd build/ cmake .. make sudo make install
If you want to install to a custom directory your
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable has to point to the prefix with the file
glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled in it.
Instructions for Ubuntu
Thanks to the work of Bob Mottram (packaging) and GitHub user versable (PPA setup), Ubuntu is currently the easiest platform to install Final Term on:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:finalterm/daily sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install finalterm
The PPA is synchronized with the GitHub repository and should always deliver the latest version with a few hours delay at most.
Binding any key (or combination of keys) to arbitrarily many functions is as simple as editing a text file. Have a look:
<Ctrl>L = RUN_SHELL_COMMAND "ls -lh"
This will cause Ctrl+L to execute the command ls -lh in the shell. If you can decipher that, you have already mastered Final Term keybindings.
In addition to application-level keybindings, Final Term also allows you to define arbitrarily many global (i.e. system-wide) shortcuts. These use the same syntax as local ones, but make Final Term do your bidding regardless of which application has the focus.
All the colors you’ll ever need
Final Term supports 8 terminal colors.
Final Term supports 16 terminal colors.
Final Term supports 256 terminal colors out of the box.
And Final Term is one of the very few terminal emulators that support 24-bit RGB terminal colors.
All of these colors can be customized using color schemes, of which Final Term already ships 10 beautiful ones by default — each of them in a light and a dark version. More can easily be generated using the supplied Base16 Builder template.
Reflow like a pro. On Linux
Well, the wait is over. Final Term does it, no need for hacks (screen), no questions asked.
Drop down. Show up
Another key simply brings the terminal window to the foreground when it is hidden, and hides it again.
Exactly which keys do that? Your choice, of course…
Built to last. Built to perform
Final Term is written in 100% Vala, the language of Desktop Linux’s future, and runs at native speed without the need for any runtime.
Final Term’s source code is precision engineered with a thoroughly object oriented approach and a clean model—view—controller separation, maximizing maintainability and extensibility.
The future of software is open source.
Final Term is free and open source software, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3.
Development happens in the open and input of any kind is very much appreciated.
Source && Download